Sunday, February 14, 2010

Custom Sized Turnouts in HOn30

The two things that drew me to handlaying track, particularly turnouts was...
  1. Cheaper -- Hand laid turnouts only end up using about $2-$3 in materials, as opposed to spending $18-30 for a store-bought turnout.
  2. Custom -- You can make things that you can't buy
Both reasons were important things for me as I'm building the LANI R&R. I'm already running a small layout with tight turns and I needed turnouts that can keep up.

hon30-handlaid-turnouts

On the left is a #4 turnout which is about the smallest turnout that's available commercially for HOn30 (and more or less for N scale). On the right is a #2-ish (around there) turnout that was created off of a template I drew on a computer.

Understanding, it's limited in operation. Larger equipment (engines with more than 6 wheels) will probably not be able to make that tight of a turn. But since I'm only planning on running 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 engines on LANI R&R, it works perfect. The main difference aside from the height is the angle at which the deviating track deviates away.

No comments:

Post a Comment